|Photo by Lady Lovelace|
Then I had a revelation tonight. I really love knitwear. Like, no, you don't understand, I LOVE IT. I have given up on wearing almost anything but knits these days, owing to a couple of different factors, not least of which is that I'm in my mid-30s and I am done with being uncomfortable in clothing. The other thing is that I am a fibre nerd- my undergraduate degree is in clothing and textile design, so I am relentlessly picky about the sort of fabrics I wear. So many knits just don't stand up to wear, and I am on a mission to find the best ones.
Sounds a little dry, I know, but hey, it's MY thing.
So, let's recap a little about me for those who are new to Ms. Mascara's Blogporium, aka Un-Nonconformity The Blog, Take Two:
- I live in Silicon Valley, with Mr. Mascara, and my cat, The Noodle.
- My house is fucking rad. It's a 1920s Craftsman. I love it.
- I swear a lot.
- Un-Nonconformity is what happens when you're an Individual, just like everyone else.
- I'm short and curvy, which is more of a fashion challenge than you might imagine.
- I wanted to be a beatnik when I was a kid. For years I dressed in black and tried to convince people I wasn't Goth, but then finally gave up and just accepted that people didn't want to grasp the finer nuances between the two subcultures.
- I actually can't stand beatnik poetry despite trying desperately in my teens to like it.
- I currently work in social media marketing and I really enjoy it.
- Oh, yeah, that grad student thing? Almost 5 years at a major university in Silicon Valley AND I STILL HAVEN'T GRADUATED. This is by no means my own fault, I assure you.
- My degree (ha) is in Art History & Visual Culture.
- I have a very macabre sense of, well, everything. Weird shit, creepy shit, freaky shit... I eat it up. Probably has a lot to do with my otherwise boring, bourgeois life.
I could go on, but I'll just stop there. Welcome!