Friday, September 6, 2013

Giving this another go

Photo by Lady Lovelace
I started this blog a couple of years ago to complement the fashion blog that my BFF Trystan started. She kept with it, and I uh... Didn't. My biggest problem was that, unlike CorpGoth, I didn't really have a style, or any particular thing to define me fashion-wise. And being a grad student meant I was sitting at home a lot, wearing pajamas. So not really exciting fashion-y stuff from a blogging standpoint.

Then I had a revelation tonight. I really love knitwear. Like, no, you don't understand, I LOVE IT. I have given up on wearing almost anything but knits these days, owing to a couple of different factors, not least of which is that I'm in my mid-30s and I am done with being uncomfortable in clothing. The other thing is that I am a fibre nerd- my undergraduate degree is in clothing and textile design, so I am relentlessly picky about the sort of fabrics I wear. So many knits just don't stand up to wear, and I am on a mission to find the best ones.

Sounds a little dry, I know, but hey, it's MY thing.

So, let's recap a little about me for those who are new to Ms. Mascara's Blogporium, aka Un-Nonconformity The Blog, Take Two:


  • I live in Silicon Valley, with Mr. Mascara, and my cat, The Noodle. 
  • My house is fucking rad. It's a 1920s Craftsman. I love it.
  • I swear a lot.
  • Un-Nonconformity is what happens when you're an Individual, just like everyone else.
  • I'm short and curvy, which is more of a fashion challenge than you might imagine.
  • I wanted to be a beatnik when I was a kid. For years I dressed in black and tried to convince people I wasn't Goth, but then finally gave up and just accepted that people didn't want to grasp the finer nuances between the two subcultures. 
  • I actually can't stand beatnik poetry despite trying desperately in my teens to like it.
  • I currently work in social media marketing and I really enjoy it.
  • Oh, yeah, that grad student thing? Almost 5 years at a major university in Silicon Valley AND I STILL HAVEN'T GRADUATED. This is by no means my own fault, I assure you. 
  • My degree (ha) is in Art History & Visual Culture. 
  • I have a very macabre sense of, well, everything. Weird shit, creepy shit, freaky shit... I eat it up. Probably has a lot to do with my otherwise boring, bourgeois life.
I could go on, but I'll just stop there. Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment